Wednesday, September 30, 2009

In Memory of Scott Sargent


Day 22-Rabanal del Camino-Riego de Ambros
7 hours-23.7 km

We are back in the mountains. What a glorious day for walking.
The scenery was magnificent, and a few of the villages look like they were taken from the Swiss Alps and dropped here.
We had a steep long climb for the first 4 hours, then a very steep rocky descent. But surrounded by mountains, the tinkle of cow bells and the fresh mountain air made the strenuous walk a joy.
The first village we passed through was Foncebadon formerly an abandoned desolate place known for it's wild dogs that menaced Pilgrims.
Now some hippie types have settled in and run a Hostal and bar, and the only sign of animals was 2 small cats pLaying in the sun.
Our next stop was the important Camino monument in the photo, the Cruz de Ferro. A simple iron cross atop piles of small stones.
It is customary for Pilgrims to carry a few pebbles or other token of love from home and climb the pile of rocks and symbolically place our burdens and worries there, as well as memories of loved ones.
In April when I started my first week of training for the Camino, my son Eric's best friend Scott Sargent died of a heart attack at the young age of 42.
With the Camino only a dream sometime in the future, I promised myself that if I made my Pilgrimage it would be in Scott's memory.
So I placed my pebbles at the foot of the cross in Scott's memory, along with some rose pedals from a rose given to me back in April by my grandson James.
I have set aside part of my prayer time each day for Scott's 2 young sons, Eric(11) and Ryan(6) and the rest of Scott's family.
Maybe it is only my son Eric who can truly appreciate the significance of this, but when I am on a steep long climb, out of breath and cannot take another step, it is Scott's image with his scruffy beard and his easy going manner that accompanies me and my step becomes lighter and my burden is less.

Blessings to all
Rita
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing to do—to carry those stones and place them at the foot of the cross. A lovely and poignant gesture, and more than mere symbolism, for isn't the foot of the cross always the best of all places to place our sorrows?

    Here's something else you might want to do, if you haven't considered the idea already…pick up a few pebbles along your path. When you get home, place them in something, a small bag or box, and give them to each of Scott's sons and family members, along with a photo of the cross and a copy of this post. It might be something they treasure later on given the circumstances.

    I want you to know that I've been following your walk every day and really enjoying your posts. Thank you so very much for sharing.

    Your daughter stopped by and left a comment at Riverdaze recently. Looks like you'll be walking together soon. That's just really neat! What a wonderful family memory.

    Keep the faith and keep following your heart and trail…one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mom, hard to beleive that much time has passed without Sarge. I think we had just hiked Mount Major for the first time. What a tribute you have made with your dedication. God Bless. Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rita, That is such a neat story... I'm sure that Scott's family appreciate what you have done. Your journey is physical for sure--but it's also very spiritual. God Bless You Rita ---and God Bless Scott.

    Glad your walk today was great. It sounds fabulous.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember our walks that must seem like a blink in time compared to your daily journey.
    Thinking about you and enjoying your trip too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sky has been such a beautiful blue in these past few posts! Wow!

    ReplyDelete