Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Meeting Amazing People

Day 8-Najera-Santo Domingo de la Calzada
5 hours 45 minutes-22.5 km

To date:202km-126 miles

Wonderful wide country tracks through golden hay fields, farms and vineyards. We had one very long steep climb today, but at the top was a perfect picnic spot with marvelous views. It was very cloudy with a brisk wind whcih made for nice walking weather.

Each day is a gift. The views, the people, a bed to sleep in after a hard day of walking.


We have lost contact with some of our friends but were reunited with others that we lost track of. Of the hundreds of people that we have met, only 5 are Americans. We have met so many wonderful people from every where that are amazing. They  have walked from very far. An Austrian couple started their Camino in Vienna in May and will walk all the way to Santiago. We met 2 Bavarian couples, one from Munich and the other from Chemsee, each couple started in June. And one man from Lichtenstein who started from his home in July. They call the way Jakobsweg (The way of Saint James) and they must walk over all the high Alps and the very high peaks in France to get to where we started. I find it just amazing.

This journey is much more than physical strength. It is a challenge of body, but when the body is spent and I must go on for another several hours, the mind takes over and I find an inner strength to carry me on. My inner strength comes from the thoughts of my family back home. I visit in my mind each one and pray for them and think of all the beauty and love and laughter that we have shared and I am carried by these thoughts.
Love to all of you

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow...I just stumbled across your blog. What an amazing journey you are on! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi gramm, I love looking at your blog it makes me so happy that I have such healthy grandparents. I hope you are having a good time and enjoying every step you take. Remember that we are all very, very proud of you and love you very much.
    love always, Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your journey is definitely spiritual, Rita. When you can't go any longer, God will give you the strength to continue. I'm just so proud of you.

    Meeting all of those wonderful people makes it all the more special.

    Hugs and Prayers,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow mom, I was so worried that physically I would not be prepared for this journey. I have been walking every day and plan to hike Mt. Major again tomorrow. But I just haven't been able to find the time for any 4 or 5 hour walks. I guess I am depending on a little inner strength of my own. Plus 5 days pales in comparison to 750 kilometers. Keep up the good work. See you soon. Love Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. grammy that second picture is amazing. you must have seen a lot of beautiful sites. i just want you to know you inspire me so much. i think about you and gramps everyday. good job, you're amazing. i love you. - sarah

    ReplyDelete