Monday, July 6, 2009

The French Road

"Life is either a daring adventure, or it's nothing " Helen Keller


There is a network of trails, followed by Pilgrims, from all over Europe that lead to Santiago de Compostela.

The route that I will be taking for my Pilgrimage, is known as the French Road or French Way. Most all pilgrim roads that lead to Santiago de Compostela merge at some point with the French Road. The French Road is the most traveled route and when one hears the term "El Camino" (in English-the way or road), it is generally the French Road that is referred to.

It starts in the Pyrenees, at the French border and runs roughly 500 miles across northern Spain through some of the most beautifully preserved medieval villages rich in heritage and some of the most scenic countryside and mountains of Europe.

Each year 100,000 people from all over the world, all ages, faiths and walks of life, make the pilgrimage along the Camino de Santiago.

Pilgrims walk on average between 5 to 8 hours each day, carrying the bare necessities on their back and staying in a network of places offering a bed and shower and sometimes a communal meal. They are called albergues and are often in monasteries, convents or hostels. Many albergues only ask a donation or small charge.

The journey is an amazing experience of simplicity. Pilgrims leave behind all the conveniences, comforts and luxuries of home, as well as the burdens, the stress and the politics.

They say that the road offers many lessons to those who walk it, the most profound being the journey of self discovery.

Rita

6 comments:

  1. God bless you in your preparation and on your pilgrimage! I hope that I can make the trek one day as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea
    Thank you for your blessing, I'll need it. I hope you can walk the camino yourself one day also. I am enjoying reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita, what an exciting thing to do! My daughter just returned from the Pyrenees yesterday and has been telling me about the beauty of the area. I'll be following your big adventure -- I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michaelle
    Your daughter is right, it is a very beautiful area. I am really looking forward to my journey. September is getting closer!! I can't wait.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi…saw you'd visited Riverdaze and thought I take a look at your blog. It is lovely. I've signed up as a follower.

    Walking one of Santiago de Compostela roads has long been one of my own dreams. I've read and collected various books on it for years, and lately followed other bloggers as they made the pilgrimage. I hope you'll have a safe and wonderful journey—and I'll certainly be following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Grizzled...nice of you to stop by..thanks for following and for the well wishes. I hope that you will be able to walk the camino some day if that is your wish. Maybe if you keep reading camino books and blogs you will be inspired to do so.

    ReplyDelete