Saturday, October 10, 2009

Saint James


Day 33-Santiago

Even though we have arrived and the long trek is done, I was up early and anxious to go.
I walked to the cathedral, only 2 or 3 minutes away. To my surprise it was open.
Even better, I had it all to myself, except a very few other early risers.
I surprised myself. Instead of going directly to Saint James, whom I traveled so far to greet, I went to the Virgen Mary. I thanked her for her prayers along my journey. I think I said more Hail Marys while walking the Camino than I've said all my life.
Then I went to Jesus and thanked him for walking with me as my Savior and my brother.
When I finally sat down in front of the gorgeous gold and silver and bejeweled altar with Saint James in front of me I was awestruck.
No tears, no sound, no thoughts, just me and James.
We looked at each other for what seemed like eternity.
Silence, pure, gorgeous, beautiful silence.
Then I wondered...who had more reverence...me for the Saint?...or the Saint for me?...and I recalled that the gospel tells us that James, son of Zebadee, was in his boat mending fishing nets when Jesus summoned him saying "Follow me and I will make you a fisher of men". James and his brother followed Jesus.
And if one considers that 100,000 people a year make the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela to visit his burial place, it would seem that James is still a "fisher of men" more than 2000 years later.
I smiled at the thought and it seemed like old Jimmy smiled back, and that is when the tears started to flow.

Peace and Love to all
Rita
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Rita! I'm smiling for your accomplishment here in CO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and I'm smiling along with Barb, but here in Ohio Rita!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made it and what a wonderful end to such a long trip. It's a spiritual revelation. Where was Ron? I hope Heidi is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rita, Your post sent chills all over me... I am so very proud of you, Rita. Now--just hang onto these moments so that you won't have a huge let-down after it is totally over.

    God Bless.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Rita

    I am so happy that you managed to make it all the way to Santiago! Congratulations!! I had planned on leaving SJPP on 8 September as well and thought we might meet up, but life (in the form of an ill mother-in-law) decided otherwise. I may give it a try after the holy year.

    Congratulations again !!

    Frogmarch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rita, this is beautiful. I feel so fortunate to sit here in Washington State and yet "travel" with you. Every bit has been totally fantastic. Thank you; God bless you!

    ReplyDelete