Saturday, October 24, 2009

Following The Signs

The tomb of  Santiago (Saint James) is most assuredly the most sign posted location in the world. With thousands of kilometers of paths from all over Europe, there are more signs and yellow arrows than one could ever count. I wonder if anyone has tried.


The signs range from large signs that can be easily seen to small and obscure, to faded yellow arrows that can be elusive to the eye.


They can be anywhere.


On a rock in the middle of a grape vineyard.



 On a sidewalk.


On a tree or stonewall leading into the forest.


In the middle of the road.


Just about anywhere that a yellow arrow can be painted.


And when there are no signs, Pilgrims make their own, just so the next person won't get lost.


It is easy to lose the way, by chatting, daydreaming, not paying attention, or paying too much attention to beautiful scenery.


One must be vigilant about looking for signs, and it is particularly important to look carefully for signs when walking in the dark.


Being attentive and looking for signs while walking the Camino,  again made me realize how true it is that the Camino de Santiago becomes that metaphor for life. Every day we must be attentive and look for "signs". The signs that keep us on the right path, that help us find our way when we have strayed, that keep us moving in a forward direction, that keep is mindful, helpful, generous and kind.


Call it what you will, intuition, gut feeling, grace. There is always that little "sign", that magic moment when we have a choice to act in a certain way to be more loving, more giving, more appreciative of the things around us, more attentive and more caring of our fellow human beings.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience."

There are opportunities to realize the truth of the above statement every day of our lives, we just have to be silent, watch, feel, and look for the signs.

I wish you peace, love and laughter
Rita

note: You may have to click on the photo to enlarge to see where the yellow arrows are.

17 comments:

  1. Lovely sentiments Rita and the signs you speak of - we all need to be more aware of them in our lives. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb
    Thanks. If we just try to be a watchful for an opportunity to be kind. Such a little thing as a smile costs us nothing, but it could make someone's day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rita :) You have such a neat blog. I am enjoying my visit here so much!
    You have a wonderful attitude and it is a treat to be here!

    Have a Wonderful Day!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, thoughtful post, Rita. Thank you for sharing your photos and for bringing a deeper meaning to signs & arrows. Thanks, too, for visiting my blog! It was such a thrill to know you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ChicGeek
    Thanks for stopping by. It gave me the opportunity to visit yours also, I love it and will surely be back for another visit.
    Hugs
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cheryl
    Thanks you. I am still learning from my Camino experience. It seems as I keep going back over the photos, I find more messages from the journey.
    Hugs
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that quotation - I remember using it too in my blog once.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Solitary
    I like the quote too, I use it often and I have it posted where it can remind me to be a little more conscious of myself as a spiritual being each day.
    To me, the quote says it all about the Camino. We are in such a heightened state of awareness and consciousness that we do get a glimpse of our spiritual self(if we are open to it). If only we can learn to hold on to it just for a few moments each day, the world would be a better place.
    Hugs
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rita! This is a very great and philosophical post! And so true: we have to be attentive to the signs around us!Thanks for your comment. I linked the photos by means of Picasa. I made a collage of two photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Reader Wil
    Thanks for the info.I heard Picasa was easy and great to work with. Will give it a try.
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Hugs
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being patient, watching and listening can give one great insight to their own life and what is important. Purposefully living and taking it all in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Rita, I am trying to catch up with blogs--and I've only been gone a week. I can only imagine how hard it is for you to try to catch up.

    I know also how hard it must be to be back home and back into the routines of life. Hope you stay busy enough not to get depressed. You had worked so hard for that pilgrimage--and you'll remember it for the rest of your life.

    Glad your way was marked well. George and I love to see signs on the trees when we are hiking.

    Hugs,
    Betsy--who is THRILLED to be home 'finally'

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delighted to find you once again and looking forward to catching up on your 'journey' - both external and internal.
    I heard a rumour that some of the signs maybe 'fake' advertising - such as pointing to a bar or such that may be off the Camino path, but desparate for business !!!
    Pauline. lillypond.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Betsy
    Glad you are back and happy. Your trip looked lovely. I am glad to be home,but finding it hard to intergrate. So much to think about from my amazing journey,.
    Hugs back at ya
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Pauline
    Nice to hear from you again. Yes, some of the signs are "fake" leading to albergues(hostals), bars etc. So one must really be vigilant about following the right signs, especially in towns.
    The internal journey really starts to kick in after the walk. You are so busy walking you don't have time to think about it. But when you return home, it hits you and continues to grow.
    Really amazing!!
    Hugs
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully written Rita. Thanks for your comment on my blog. Being silent, as you mentioned is very very difficult for many people. But I have found that is when I hear the stirrings in my soul.

    ReplyDelete